Saturday, November 18, 2006

GODDESS WORSHIPERS: Bound & REPRESSED


Stumbled across this little gem today:

"In The Goddess Revival, Aida Besancon Spencer writes: ‘The God of the Bible is not described by Goddess worshipers as creative, personal, and good, a God who allows freedom in creation. Rather, they say the God of the Bible is … warlike, intolerant, a dominating male repulsed by female bodies’ (p. 104). It is tragic, then, that feminists leave the Christian God due to misconceptions of the true God of the Bible. But equally tragic, argues Spencer, is their turn to goddess spirituality, in which the repressive and binding features of pagan religions are affirmed anew in the name of a newfound freedom.”

Go HERE for MORE of this review.
Excuse me for a second [HA, HA, HA, HA-HA, HA HA, HA HA HA HA …]. Okay. Better now. [Wipes tears from eyes].

Any of you Goddess people out there feel bound and/or repressed? What say we list all your vivid descriptions of binding and repression and then send them to Ms. Spencer, shall we?

Let's not disappoint Ms. S. I'm expecting my blog to clog with all your sad descriptions of how awful it is being forced to follow female deity.
____________________
thnx to naraosga for the foto

8 comments:

Vincent said...

I have to confess that feminism does not turn me on. But when younger, I loved the poetry of Sappho, and used to cherish a chaste relationship with my own imaginary goddess.

Anne Johnson said...

So THAT's why I've been feeling so tied up in knots, so overburdened and depressed! Doggone Goddess, it's all her fault! I'm really re-thinking this whole pagan/heathen thing. Maybe I'll join a nudist colony. Oh wait. I already belong to one --- damn, it's a pagan resort!

Is there any escape from this repressive, whack-a-mole Goddess?

Athana said...

anne, I just knew you'd beat down the door getting here first (actually second) on this one. You're one of the most repressed nudist-colony members I know. It's those fairies in your house, anne, I'm sure of it. Maybe it's time to show them the door, whadja think?

Morgaine said...

Yep - you can't escape Her - She's the ground I walk on, the ocean I swim in, the air I breathe, the bed I'm lying on and the keyboard I'm tapping. She's freaking everywhere! And the pressure! The pressure to love those around me, including myself, and to be and live my life as I choose - the oppression of choice! If only there were some one to tell me how to live and what to think like the Xtians have ~ but alas, I have only my Sacred Mother who accepts me as I am and wants me to be happy.

Athana said...

morgaine, stop, stop, stop! I just can't stand to hear any more! Your life is so *awful* -- how do you drag yourself through each day? All that choice, all that freedom -- it's just not right a person should have to bear so much [sobs silently into her handkerchief].

Anonymous said...

strange how much contempt and derision masked as concern one is subject to simply changing the sex and gender pronoun to God/dess, He to She. Strange how much disgust and horror is experienced by them from the simple inference in fiction that christ loved passionately a female such an icky thing to image Christ may have kissed a woman. Not very Mature reactions in the long run.
Kicking a abusive husband to the curb is the first true sign of recovery for abused women. It is the same with an abusive god kick him to the curb you have no power when no longer are you frightening bully.

Anonymous said...

Interesting page. I had an interesting experience concerning all this. As a graduate student at Duke I met many followers of the Goddess. They were radical feminists, who hared patriarchy and the "philogocentric view". I also noticed they slept with their professors in pathetic attempts to get their Ph.D.'s At the same time I roomed with a Cathloic who after many years of incessant talk convinced me to become a Christian. This devoted loving roomate, who loved jesus, also screwed me out of everything he could. He later developled paranoid schizophrenia. My born again sister also goes to a fundi Jesus-loving church. One woman in this church drowned her five year old daughter in a bath tub to save it for Jesus.

I noticed that Goddess followers I met were self destructive and sadistsic, and Christians, well they were even worse.

I saw the light and became an atheist. Religion, Jesus or Goddess, is garbage.

I'll be very, very surprised if you allow this post to appear.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I don't feel repressed because I acutally have a Goddess Temple near my home in Orange County, California! Check it out here: www.goddesstempleoforangecounty.com. If you want more information, please email me at: sheryllalexander@sbcglobal.net. BLESSED BE!