Thursday, November 30, 2006

Calling ALL ARCHAEOLOGISTS

Dear Archaeologists (and Their Friends, who can pass this message along to them):

Please don’t take funding from Big Money.

Big Money often has a way of ‘calling the shots’ on digs. I’m not saying they actually tell you what to do, or how to interpret what you dig. And I’m not saying you'd knowingly let a Big-Money Guy tell you what to do. Or say. Or believe.

I am saying, however, that there’s usually an undercurrent of pressure to do what Big Money wants. You might not even be totally aware of it. You might be vaguely aware of it -- and therefore eager to rationalize your behavior around it.

Just take the high road. When that Big Money guy comes knocking at your door wanting to lend his name (and his money) to your dig, please -- just politely shut the door in his face. History will thank you for it.

And I thank you, too.

Love,
Athana
____________
foto: Middle Eastern Goddess statue from Ubaid period

2 comments:

Anne Johnson said...

Am I the only one who wants them to stop digging altogether? It makes me shiver to think of all those ancient people being unburied and studied in museums. It's disrespectful to the bored gods. No wonder the tomb raiders were always said to be cursed. What else is a bored god to do under such circumstances?

Morgaine said...

I don't like them digging up people, but I do like learning about buried cities. I just wish they'd be honest about what they find. Call a Goddess a Goddess.