Wednesday, September 28, 2005

RESEARCH ON god

Today I sent the following to Cousin Doris the Fundamentalist. Sending it almost made me sad. It signals the death knell of god -- and of Doris. And I kinda had fun crossing swords with Doris for a while.

Doris, I almost don't want to send you this, but I think you need to see it. It's what I've been trying to say all along. It was published today in the London Times, the leading and most respected newspaper in England:

"Societies worse off 'when they have God on their side'
By Ruth Gledhill, Religion Correspondent

"RELIGIOUS belief can cause damage to a society, contributing towards high murder rates, abortion, sexual promiscuity and suicide, according to research published today...."
If you want to read the rest of the article, go here: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1798944,00.html

We need to turn to a deity of love, a female deity. History shows that when we worshipped the Goddess, we lived in utopia.
Thanks to Echidne for the link and to EXIF for the foto.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm in suspense, what did she say?

Athana said...

She hasn't answered me yet. There's been a very curious silence where Doris is concerned.... Since I sent her this article, that is.

obliq said...

Don't expect a reply. Everything in the quote is exactly counter to what fundamentalist believe.

Human beings don't require a belief in any deity. The compassion is within each of us. It is our individual responsibility to act upon it.

-----

Is there such a thing as a fundamentalist atheist?

Athana said...

I think you're right, liberal. Doris isn't going to answer. She finally did email me -- after a long silence -- but not about the god article. We also argue about politics, so this email was about the glories of the flat tax. (One area we might agree on; we're trying out the "common ground" approach these days).

You know from my website content that I have to disagree with you about the need for a belief in some kind of "religion." Every society ever studied, past and present, has had religion. The only religion most of us have ever known is god religion. Which is lethal. But that doesn't necessarily make other kinds of religion lethal.