Sunday, October 22, 2006

Summoning GRANDMA AT SAMHUINN

Or, The Thinning of the Veil

This post was inspired by anne at “The Gods Are Bored.” Anne’s been shaking her family tree lately.

On the Samhuinn I remember best, I called my great, great, great grandma Elizabeth to come and commune with me. It was a cold, pitch-black night in the country, around a bonfire. All I could see were orange sparks dancing on black bonfire logs, spiraling against the pitch black sky. Grandma came, I could feel her there, and that was enough at the time. But I’ve decided I need to call her again, because I have questions to ask her.

In 1813, at the age of 20, Grandma married a guy who moved lock, stock and barrel from her home in Bedford Co. Pennsylvania to the Ohio wilderness, for gosh sakes! Around 1830 or so, she’d had enough of Ohio. She had a yearning to see her kinfolk in PA again. Apparently no one took that yearning seriously, so Grandma Elizabeth just saddled up a horse one day and struck out on her own. She rode alone through wilderness for twenty days, back to Bedford County. (The women in my family have never let the men forget this.)

I want to know more. Were you scared, Grandma? Where’d you stay at night? Did you attract any trouble – a lone woman traveling over 500 miles on horseback through the 1830s wilderness? How’d you carry things -- saddle bags? Did you take the Old National Road? Were you afraid Grandpa would ride after you? Where’d you get your spunk, Grandma? What made you different? What are your secrets?

At the thinning of the veil this Samhuinn, I’m gonna call Grandma again. Maybe she’ll relate the details of her tale this time. Maybe too she’ll have some pointers on how a woman can be powerful in the world.

5 comments:

Anne Johnson said...

Athana, please communicate to me your ancestress Elizabeth's last name. It is possible that you and I are related.

Athana said...

Wouldn't that be something! Steele was Grandma's maiden name. Ring any bells?

Anonymous said...

Hello, new reader here. I'm really enjoying your blog!

What an amazing thing your great, great, great grandma did. I hope you get in contact with her again.

Athana said...

Welcome, Rebecca, and thanks for letting me know you enjoy the blog. Feel free to visit anytime. As a matter of fact, make sure to come at least a couple of times a day. We do love our praise around here.

Anne Johnson said...

praise AND worship! Alas, Steele does not ring a bell. But if you ever find yourself in Bedford County, their Historical Society is wonderful. They've done great things considering that the whole county has about 30,000 residents.

I'll be blogging on Bedford County the rest of the week. Better ancestors than the white trash valley folks.