Friday, October 27, 2006

DEAR GODDESS, Bless MARIJA


I've been surfing the web for a bit of reading to give my new Goddess group, and stumbled upon a fantastic interview with Lithuanian archaeologist Marija Gimbutas. Here's just a tiny taste:

Rebecca: The patriarchy has been around for about five thousand years compared to the Goddess culture which was around for possibly millions. Why did it endure for so long?

Marija: Because of what I've been talking about. It was natural to have this kind of divinity and it is absolutely unnatural to create a punishing God and warriors who are stimulating our bad instincts.

David: What relevance do you think that understanding our ancient past has to dealing with the problems facing the world today?

Marija: Well, it's time to be more peaceful, to calm down, (laughter) and this philosophy [i.e., Goddess spirituality] is pacifying somehow, bringing us to some harmony with nature where we can learn to value things. And knowing that there were cultures which existed for a long time without wars is important, because most twentieth-century people think that wars were always there. There are books still stressing this fact and suggesting such crazy ideas that agriculture and war started at the same time.
Go HERE to read the entire thing. Oh Dear Goddess, please bless Marija Gimbutas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just reading what you are saying about Goddess. I wasn't totally tuned into this happening around me but somehow the final aspect of my book is about women gathering together. I asked a medicine woman to speak to the message. You can find out more about her on my website www.shandarrah.com ... All best. I will be back!