Tuesday, November 29, 2005

PUBLICLY Whipped FOR ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION

“… [R]eligious police reporting directly to the U.S. Secretary of State stormed Boston’s Zoot Suit nightclub and handcuffed young women who they believed were dressed immodestly. And now, for the first time, two young people who were caught drinking alcohol face the threat of a public whipping.”
Scared you for a second, didn’t I? Actually, this did happen. Not in Boston, however, but in a country that’s lost its separation between church and state – something that could happen here if we’re not careful. Here’s the original paragraph:

“… [R]eligious police reporting directly to the prime minister stormed Kuala Lumpur's Zouk nightclub and handcuffed young women who they believed were dressed immodestly. And now, for the first time, two young people who were caught drinking alcohol face the threat of a public whipping.” MORE >>>
The country, Malaysia, has been kidnapped by Muslim Right-Wingers. And now those same fundies are trying to take over Malaysia’s next-door neighbor, the great and peaceful Buddhist Thailand. I was rudely awakened to this fact by Cousin Doris (the Christian Fundamentalist),* who – bless her heart! – emailed me a picture from InJesus.com of a Muslim-beheaded Christian girl. I will do you the favor of not passing it on. Doris is forever complaining that Christians are being picked on. I’ve told her they deserve it. I guess she thought I wasn’t taking her seriously enough.

_____
*Cousin Doris is not related to me by blood. Years ago, she snagged one of my favorite cousins and dragged him from the relatively benign church of our childhood into her church of the Rapture-Right. (This is not to say that some of my own blood haven't gotten themselves into fundie churches under their own steam. None of them, however, is as rabidly Rapturous as Doris.) Although I'm glad we're separated by bloodlines, I'm otherwise grateful to have Doris in my life -- she's a world-class instructress in the ways of the wild and wooly American fundie.

No comments: