Monday, November 13, 2006

GODDESS: A Man’s-Eye VIEW

Don’t see this very often (yet): A man telling how he found the Goddess. The book’s called The Savage Breast: One Man’s Search for the Goddess. So far it’s catching kudos from men and woman alike:

Woman reviewer:

It was so refreshing to read about the Goddess from the perspective of a man when most of what I come across is written by women or by men with patriarchal ideals.

"What did I learn from this book? It is very simple…. The Goddess asks nothing of us other than for us the appreciate the beauty of the world and to share it with each other. Imagine if we did only this how the world would change....”
Male Reveiwer:

“I found Savage Breast to be a meaningful and personal account of the search for the Goddess in a man's life. I was right there with Tim, cheering him on, laughing with him and at him (thinking of my own trials) and wondering 'is he ever going to get it' and feeling so happy and relieved when he does get it.”

Woman:

“This book is really about the courage and strength it takes to be a real man, the first step in being able to get over the fear of love and intimacy with the woman you love. It also examines how Western men may have damaged themselves by cutting themselves off from a feminine divine, and how earlier cultures viewed and worshipped their goddesses. It's a fascinating mix of archaeology, travel, psychology, mythology ... and a love story as well! I can't say enough about it -- it's a real-life Da Vinci Code….”

Go HERE for MORE reviews on Savage Breast: One Man's Search for the Goddess, by Tim Ward, 2006, O Books.

1 comment:

Paxton said...

'Twould be an interesting read =)

And I'll grant you (as always) that many of the ideals you espouse are ones that men would do well to learn.

But in these reviews again I see something that I have never understood.
It's those phrases you've bolded:

"Imagine if we did only this how the world would change..."

and

"Western men may have damaged themselves by cutting themselves off from a feminine divine"


For me, they underscore the fact(?) that in your estimation the Goddess is only important inside a person's head, or inside a social structure. This would all be a grievous generalization if I was only drawing from this entry, but it sounds like a theme.

It's just unusual to me, you understand. (Worshiping, as I do, a God who makes frequent and forceful claims of actually being a real Person and a specific Thing, a God who Does and Is).

I am not trying to belittle -- I only just realized what a curious difference it is =) Maybe you can explain things and we can progress a little further ^_^ (this kind of thing is the reason why I asked you earlier if your Goddess exists only as a reaction against God and as a spiritualization of social reform? That is to say, she sounds very much like a state of mind, and very little like a Deity).